No, Mormons are not keen on Jello in any abnormal sense. And, truthfully, there is no Mormon mold no matter what you have been told. But there are some cultural, artistic, culinary and musical entities out there that a large number of Mormons appreciate. Here is a fun list!
- The Piano Guys. These middle aged men who play piano and cello drive the Mormon households wild. It’s true that we have sat for hours during FHE watching video after video on their YouTube Channel.
- Jim Gaffigan This clean comedian keeps us rolling on the floor. No, he is not Mormon but he appeals to normal families.
- Brian Regan Another clean comic who is a Mormon favorite.
- Rhodes Rolls Yup, for those who are not eating low carb, Rhodes Rolls are a favorite food.
- Board Games Now that technology is taking over, the penchant to play board games may disappear even among Mormons, but for now, getting together as adults and playing board games is a thing, a fun thing. Settlers of Cataan and Ticket to Ride are popular.
- Studio C This sketch comedy crew has writing that far surpasses the genius of any other sketch comedy group, maybe in history. Even SNL, even 2nd City, even Kids in the Hall. I know what I’m saying. Studio C is G-PG sketch comedy that comes on at 8pm on Mondays. FHE nights! While you eat your treats you can watch on BYUtv! There are hundreds of sketches to choose from now.
- Musicals A large number of MOs enjoy musical films and plays.
- Harry Potter If you want to meet up with a bunch of die hard HP fans-go to Utah…Ask random 20 somethings what HP house they are in and they can tell you – I’m Hufflepuff.
- Les Miserables (the stage musical) At a home Jazz game, someone could conduct the crowd to sing “Do You Hear the People Sing?” and there will be just as many men in purple singing as women.
- Exercise Perhaps it’s a reaction to the Word of Wisdom, but you will find more cyclists, marathoners, mountain bikers and such among the Mormons than probably any other demographic.
- Dancing Mormons are dancers.
- Piano Lessons/music lessons While learning a musical instrument is no longer seen as important, Mormons routinely seek out music lessons. A local non-Mormon music teacher told me that all of her students were Mormon!
- Juicers Yup!
- Grain Grinders Yup!
- Bosch mixers Yup!
- Electric Pressure Cookers Yup!
- Pinterest boards even my husband has a Pinterest board
- Getting up Early Whether its from years of early morning Seminary or from early rising on missions, a large percentage of MOs start their day earlier than most. Shopping centers would be wise to open at 8 am as a new norm, especially places like Hobby Lobby and JoAnne’s Fabrics. We like to get our project materials and get home to work on them.
These are just a few examples, I’m sure there are more I’m overlooking. And of course, not every Mormon likes everything on this list but I doubt you find to many die hard MOs that can’t check off a number of these items on their “likes.”